- An image that portrays your story
- Short, concise headline (20 characters or less)
- One sentence of descriptive text (200 characters or less)
- URL Link to the rest of the story or for call to action: “read more” , “view photos”, “view video”, “give now”
In order to protect use of the name “Clemson University,” the wordmark, the seal and University tiger designed in 1995, the academic logo designed in 2009, and other official subordinate graphic symbols, the Clemson University Board of Trustees has determined that the name “Clemson University,” the word “Clemson” used in the context of Clemson University, the University seal, the University tiger, the Academic logo, and other authorized symbols shall not be used for any noncommercial official, quasi-official, promotional or similar purpose by any organization, group or activity without the express approval of the Board of Trustees.
Further, to ensure consistency in representation of the Clemson Brand, non-authorized logos, wordmarks or symbols may not be used to represent Clemson University or any of its colleges, schools, divisions, departments, programs or offices without the express approval of the Board of Trustees.
Lastly, University units using Clemson University funds to produce publications or other communications materials must include approved Clemson branding. The Board delegates to the administration the responsibility for implementation of this policy, including authority to develop and publish guidelines for appropriate use of Clemson University’s name, symbols and logos, with approval of the Administrative Council, with the proviso that the final academic logo design will be approved by the Institutional Advancement Committee. In these cases, “the administration” refers to the Office of Creative Services of the Division of Advancement.
In keeping with existing procedures, responsibility for monitoring use of symbols created in the Athletic Department will be delegated to the Athletic Department.
Adopted by the Clemson University Board of Trustees on February 12, 2009. Academic logo approved on April 17, 2009.
Clemson University maintains information containing biographical, academic, demographic and gift information on alumni, donors and friends. This information exists exclusively to support the work of Clemson University and to assist the University community in transacting business related to Clemson University programs. Much of this information is protected under various state and federal laws and may not be used in violation of those laws. Alumni information records, both hard-copy and electronic, are highly confidential and protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Additionally, the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) defines much of the information received, created and maintained by Clemson University to be “public information” and disclosure of those records is mandated by the specific provisions of FOIA. The S.C. Family Rights to Privacy Act prohibits disclosure of personal information about an employee, student or other person for any commercial purpose, unless the individual has consented to such release. The Clemson Alumni Association seeks to provide assistance for programs, communications, and events, which bring together Clemson alumni. In order to provide the best possible service to those with legitimate needs for such information, and at the same time maintain the confidentiality of the information entrusted to us by our alumni, the following policies have been developed and approved by the Alumni Association Board of Directors. The purpose of the Alumni Association Information Policy is to provide guidance regarding the receipt, maintenance, use and disclosure of any information contained in the alumni database.
If at any time you have questions about this policy, please contact Dana Morgan, Director, Marketing and Communications, Clemson Alumni Association, 864-656-2345 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legitimate and lawful information requests by employees or alumni will be routed to the Alumni Association for review and approval. All requests for information from members of the media or government relations must be referred to the Clemson University Office of Public Affairs. Information from the Alumni database is not available for release for commercial or political purposes at any time. No information will be released to vendors or third party partners unless approved by the Alumni Association. If approved, vendors will be required to sign a confidentiality form.
By agreeing to the user acknowledgement statement, you are required to abide by the policies as outlined below:
• Alumni information provided may only be used for the purpose intended and the purpose must be legitimate and lawful in nature.
• The sale or transfer of the information to another party is strictly prohibited.
• Information is provided for a one-time communication purpose only and is approved for university-related activities only. University-related activities include: Alumni relations, public relations, research, continuing education programs, giving requests, and recruitment.
• Approved requestors must have authority and or responsibility for the business, organization, or group for which they are requesting information.
• An alumnus may request information from the database on behalf of a group or club they represent or have oversight authority as long as the alumni group is recognized by the Clemson Alumni Association. Information provided to volunteer alumni constituent groups will be limited to those alumni who are affiliated with the requesting group.
• The Alumni Association must receive a copy of the material to be distributed before the requested information is released.
• A request for demographic data may be provided but would include no personal details.
• Absolute confidentiality of the information provided is expected and is the responsibility of the requestor.
REQUESTOR CATEGORIES: All requests for alumni information must be submitted through the Clemson Alumni Association via the Alumni Information online request form @ https://cualumni.clemson.edu/inforequest and linked from the Alumni homepage www.clemson.edu/alumni. The following may request information from the Alumni Association database:
• Alumni constituent groups, in support of approved activities
• University-affiliated organizations and employees
• Other colleges and universities seeking the location of alumni with degrees from both Clemson and the requesting institution.
• Law enforcement, government, student loan, and alumni locator agencies
• Alumni Association corporate sponsors
INFORMATION AVAILABLE: Lists will provide: Name, Address, City, State and Zip. Phone number may be requested, if applicable. Lists can be requested for breakdown of state, college, major, degree, zip code. Other sorts may be available upon requests and all are pending available data in the Raiser’s Edge alumni database. No information will be released to any internal or external requestor for the purpose of commercial solicitation.
For those requesting individual information on alumni classmates, they will be referred to www.clemson.edu/alumni to the Alumni Directory where they will find name and contact information for any alumni who has made their information available for access. All requests seeking information on another person will be forwarded to that person so that he/she can decide whether or not to contact the requestor. No information will be released for those records coded “Do Not Release” indicating the alumnus or alumna has requested no University contact.
COMMUNICATION TO ALUMNI: Approved requests for information may be used for demographics analysis or for communications purposes. Upon review and approval of an alumni communication, the requestor will be provided with a mailing list file including name and address in an MSExcel, .xls, or .csv file unless another format has been agreed upon. Email addresses will not be provided to requestors as we ask that all email communications be sent through our centralized email utility and will be scheduled and distributed to your specified audience by the Alumni Association. All requests for communications must be submitted through the Clemson Alumni Association through the Alumni Information online request form @ https://cualumni.clemson.edu/inforequest. Refer to the Alumni Association “Electronic Communications Guidelines” document for suggested content and frequency details. ESTIMATED TIMING: All requests for information release or communication to alumni should be submitted at least ten business days prior to the requested date. COPYRIGHT AND TRADEMARK INFORMATION: Clemson University and Alumni Association logos, names, trademarks and service marks are property of the Clemson Alumni Association or Clemson University. Display or use of these marks requires prior written permission by these entities.
The Alumni Association respects the intellectual property of others and ask that our users to do the same. Please review the University’s full copyright policy at http://www.lib.clemson.edu/copyright/. COMPLIANCE: Your agreement to this Alumni Information Policy must include your willingness to respect our constituents’ right to privacy, to deal discretely with the information to which you are exposed, and to avoid disseminating confidential information to anyone not directly affiliated with the Clemson Alumni Association. Failure to abide by any of the policies may result in denial of access to information contained in the Alumni database.
Our policies are created to protect our alumni and donor information, to maintain the confidentiality of the data. All efforts are made to provide the most accurate and appropriate data for the specific use. If there is a question about the appropriate use of alumni information or whether or not alumni information should be released, the final decision will be made by the Sr. Director of Alumni Relations.
Complete this form to provide consent to receive communication from Clemson University.
Commercial Use of Marks
The demand by Clemson University students, alumni and friends for products depicting a University trademark, logo or symbol has reached new heights. Almost 550 manufacturers are licensed today for commercial use of the marks. As a result, Clemson University manages a licensing program to ensure that the public properly identifies and associates University logos on products bearing the institutional marks.
The Clemson University licensing program is designed to protect the integrity and ensure the proper use of the University name and logos. In order to administer the program, Clemson has established formal licensing procedures that will allow the institution to benefit from the commercial use of both the registered names and symbols.
The Clemson University licensing program is also designed to establish a cooperative relationship with licensees to assist in developing a marketplace demand for “Officially Licensed Clemson Products.” The marketing strategy drives the consumer to purchase products that directly support the institution. The end result is a mutually beneficial partnership.
- List of Current Clemson Licensed Vendors by Name
- List of Current Clemson Licensed Vendors by Product Category
- List of Restricted Licensees (Approved to produce promotional/giveaway products (internal consumption) that contain Clemson federally protected marks.
For further information, contact:
University Director of Trademarks and Licensing
PO Box 31
Clemson, SC 29633
To Obtain a License
For further information, contact:
The Collegiate Licensing Company
320 Interstate North, Suite 102
Atlanta, GA 30339
Alumni Calendar Guidelines
If you know of an event where Alumni are gathering, please let me know so we can get it on the Alumni Calendar. This calendar is intended for our external audience and can be accessed through both our Alumni homepage and the Alumni App.
Information about the event needs to be submitted at least one week prior to the RSVP date (or event date if there is no RSVP) if at all possible.
- Date of Event
- Time of Event
- Location of Event with Address
- Contact Name
- Contact e-mail and/or phone
- Summary of the event (optional)
- Link to more information (optional)
E-mail this information at least two weeks prior to your event to email@example.com.
Q: What about my Clemson Club or Special Interest Group will CAA share on their social media pages?
A: CAA social marketing will only share content on the official CAA social media pages if they meet the following criteria:
- Events that exhibit a strong relationship with/support the Clemson Alumni Association
- Content that exhibits a strong relationship with/supports the Clemson Alumni Association
- Fundraisers that exhibit a strong relationship with/support the Clemson Alumni Association If the content does not meet this criteria, Clemson Clubs and Special Interest Groups are encouraged to tag alumni pages in their posts about their relevant content however caution and professional discussion is expected.
For more information visit https://alumni.clemson.edu/clemson-alumni-association-social-media-promotion-policy/.
Q: Who is included in my Clemson Club or Special Interest Group that I can reach by email?
A: All Clemson Clubs are created based on zip codes within the defined geographic area. Special Interest Groups are based on a common interest, degree or demographic. When a club email is sent through the Alumni email system, you reach everyone in our database living within your assigned zip codes who has provided current contact information and given consent to be contacted. When a Group email is sent thorough our system you reach everyone who has expressed interest or who meets the criteria of the group who has provided their current contact information and given consent to be contacted allowing you to reach a broader audience with your news, events and fundraising.
Q: What types of emails can be sent by the club?
A: Clemson Clubs and Special Interest Groups are encouraged to share information with their designated audiences based on the following criteria:
- Events that exhibit a strong relationship with/support the Clemson Club/Special Interest Group. i.e. viewing parties, volunteer opportunities, networking events, etc.
- Content that exhibits a strong relationship with/supports the Clemson Club/Special Interest Group. i.e. sharing club or group news, club or group elections, information about the alumni association or the university.
- Fundraisers that exhibit a strong relationship with/support the Clemson Club/Special Interest Group. i.e. Club or group scholarship fundraising opportunities, etc. Content that supports another organization or group without the direct connection to the Clemson Club or Special Interest Group are not allowed.
Q: Who can request to send an email?
A: Club and Group Presidents or a person within the board of the club or group designated by the president are allowed to request emails. The CAA liaison to the club or group must be notified as to who is the designated requestor.
Q: How do I go about reaching out to the alumni I want to reach?
A: Clemson Clubs and Special Interest Groups can request an email be sent to their constituency base by completing the Info Request Form on the CAA website. Instructions for doing so can be found at https://alumni.clemson.edu/requesting-an-email-distribution-clubs-and-groups/.
Q: Can I send email to a community that my club is not in?
A: If your club or special interest group would like to reach beyond your defined target audience to share an event, update or fundraising opportunity, the CAA engagement team, marketing and the areas impacted must review the request and determine its relevance to the extended audience.
The Clemson Alumni Association prides itself on enhancing the lifelong Clemson experience by serving, involving, informing, and engaging our alumni, current and future students, and friends of the University. Our social media accounts have been implemented to achieve these goals. Promoting content that exhibits a strong relationship with the Alumni Association is just one of the many ways we attempt to fulfill our mission. Therefore, the Alumni Association is open to promoting certain events and material that are not hosted solely by the Clemson Alumni Association, but by officially approved extensions of the Alumni Association.
Below are the approved guidelines for content that will, and will not be promoted by the Alumni Association on the official Alumni social media websites. The criteria for content that will be considered for promotion is also included.
Content that will be promoted by the Clemson Alumni Association
- Events that exhibit a strong relationship with/support the Clemson Alumni Association
- Content that exhibits a strong relationship with/supports the Clemson Alumni Association
- Fundraisers that exhibit a strong relationship with/support the Clemson Alumni Association
Definition of content that has a strong relationship with the Clemson Alumni Association:
- The content is sponsored by the Clemson Alumni Association
- The content is sponsored by the University
- The content benefits the Clemson Alumni Association, alumni, and students all together
- The Content contributes to the mission of the Clemson Alumni Association
- If the content is an event:
- The majority of those who organize/host the event are alumni
- The majority of those participating are alumni/students
- The event benefits a large amount of alumni
- Proceeds of the event benefit Clemson University, the Alumni Association, the university campaign and/or an officially charted entity of the Alumni Association
- The content targets the Clemson Alumni Association’s preferred audiences
- The content networks current students/young alumni with older/current alumni
- The content provides alumni with opportunities to give back to Clemson University
- The content that is deemed to be a feature story by our discretion
Club and Group Network Initiatives and Student Clubs and Organizations
- The Alumni Association will not post content promoting initiatives by Clemson Clubs and Special Interest Groups due to the vast number of entities that fall within this categorization. However, clubs and groups are encouraged to tag Alumni Association social media accounts in posting their events.
- In the same vein, the Alumni Association will not promote the initiatives of the various student groups and organizations on campus but will promote initiatives produce by Student Affairs. However, student groups and organizations are encouraged to tag Alumni Association social media accounts in posting their events.
Content that will not be promoted by the Clemson Alumni Association
- Selling of any goods or services that are not sold specifically by the Alumni Association or its contractual partners
- Does not have a strong/contractual relationship with the Clemson Alumni Association
- Content that involves:
- Illegal activity
- Hate speech
- Shock value
- Events that are:
- Not compatible with the missions and values of the Clemson Alumni Association
- Political campaigns
- Content that is asking to share a post for a contest
- Content that involves court cases
Guidelines for submitting content to be promoted
- Must be submitted within 2 weeks of desired date of promotion
- Must fill out application
- Event application
- Fundraiser application
- Material application
In celebration of Clemson, our on-campus print and mail center would like to extend their services to the Clemson Clubs and Clemson affiliates at the same discounted rates offered to employees which average 20% below commercial retail costs. In addition to these low rates, turnaround times are typically within a few days and can include a free proof sent to you. The on-campus print and mail center uses negotiated UPS & FedEx rates so shipping costs are far lower than standard costs.
Services available include high quality color and black & white printing, copying, a complete bindery, fulfillment and bulk mailing services. Start saving money on your printing and mailing projects and take advantage of this opportunity.
To learn more or get a free quote, please contact Shannell Yvonne Mathis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 864-656-0687.
We are happy to assist university approved entities in getting out emails to their club alumni base. According to University policy and Can Spam Act laws, we are not allowed to provide you with alumni email addresses; however, we are happy to send your information on your behalf.
We will distribute it through our email system utilizing the university’s alumni database – which includes all alumni who live within the designated zip codes for your club. This will mean that our emails will reach a broader audience than your current list. We can send text emails as well as HTML emails. We just need for you to provide the text or the HTML code.
Why does this benefit you:
- Alumni typically update their contact information with the university or with the alumni association on a daily basis so we most likely have more up-to-date information.
- We manage opt-in and opt-out requests per Can Spam Act laws. It is required that in every email sent from any entity (in this case the university, clubs and any college or department) offer an opportunity to opt-out of emails from that entity – Clemson University. We have the code in all emails sent through our system to handle this request automatically.
- IF SOMEONE SENDS AN EMAIL TO THOSE INDIVIDUALS who have requested to opt-out – even though it is not coming from the university email system, but represents the university (I.e. Your email account or anyone in your club) – the university is then liable for all fines associated with not honoring their request which can be up to $41,484.00.
- Since university communications policies state this is not allowed, those who send the email may be liable for the fines.
University policies state that all communications to alumni must adhere to the following policy:
Clemson University Information Policy
Clemson University maintains information containing biographical, academic, demographic and gift information on alumni, donors and friends. This information exists exclusively to support the work of Clemson University and to assist the University community in transacting business related to Clemson University programs. Much of this information is protected under various state and federal laws and may not be used in violation of those laws or without an individual’s consent. The Clemson Alumni Association seeks to provide assistance for programs, communications, and events, which bring together Clemson alumni, donors, and friends. In order to provide the best possible service to those with legitimate needs for such information, and at the same time maintain the confidentiality of the information entrusted to us by our alumni, donors, and friends we ask that you submit your request for contact information, including mailing lists or demographic information, via this online form. Email addresses will not be released, but you may submit a request for an email distribution via this form as well. Thank you in advance for your partnership. If at any time you have questions about this policy, please contact Clemson Alumni Association, 864-656-2345 or email@example.com.
To request an email, please follow this process:
- In order to process your request, please begin by setting up a login and password with us at https://cualumni.clemson.edu/SSLPage.aspx?pid=779&srcid=779. You will only have to do this once and then you can log straight into the system each time you have an email. Emails can be sent within 24-48 hours as long as there is no university email scheduled during that time which would cause overlap in audiences and cause an influx of Clemson email into personal email inboxes.
- Once you have set up your account, log in and go to https://cualumni.clemson.edu/SSLPage.aspx?pid=1309 (you can also find this on www.clemson.edu/alumni and hovering over “resources” in the upper right corner and a drop down will appear where you will select “Email Distribution Request” from the first column – about 6 down)
- On this page, you will select “Clemson Club.” You will then have to accept our email distribution policy. Once accepted, you will be taken into a form where you will provide us with all of the information we will need to process your request. If you are creating a text email, you will include the text and preferred subject line. If you are creating an HTML version, you will indicate that in the fields and then send your HTML code to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your code must be prepared for email use and not web page use.
- Your email content must be reviewed and approved before being sent, so please be sure to send it in plenty of time prior to your preferred send date either via the form or to email@example.com.
- You will receive a confirmation email and should expect that your request will be completed within 2 days of the request. The only reasons there will be any further delay will be a high volume of email requests on your preferred send day, holiday closing or inclement weather closings. In many cases, you can expect that your email will be sent within 24 hours of receipt but please do not count on this being the case and ensure that you provide us plenty of time to process and account for any of the potential issues previously mentioned.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Dana Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 864-656-5669.
Thank you for your assistance and we look forward to working with you. Go Tigers!
Clemson Alumni Association
- Phone: (864) 656-2345
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Clemson Alumni Center, 109 Daniel Drive, Clemson, SC 29631-3006