Requesting an Email Distribution – Clubs and Groups
We are happy to assist university approved entities in getting out emails to their club alumni base. According to University policy and Can Spam Act laws, we are not allowed to provide you with alumni email addresses; however, we are happy to send your information on your behalf.
We will distribute it through our email system utilizing the university’s alumni database – which includes all alumni who live within the designated zip codes for your club. This will mean that our emails will reach a broader audience than your current list. We can send text emails as well as HTML emails. We just need for you to provide the text or the HTML code.
Why does this benefit you:
- Alumni typically update their contact information with the university or with the alumni association on a daily basis so we most likely have more up-to-date information.
- We manage opt-in and opt-out requests per Can Spam Act laws. It is required that in every email sent from any entity (in this case the university, clubs and any college or department) offer an opportunity to opt-out of emails from that entity – Clemson University. We have the code in all emails sent through our system to handle this request automatically.
- IF SOMEONE SENDS AN EMAIL TO THOSE INDIVIDUALS who have requested to opt-out – even though it is not coming from the university email system, but represents the university (I.e. Your email account or anyone in your club) – the university is then liable for all fines associated with not honoring their request which can be up to $41,484.00.
- Since university communications policies state this is not allowed, those who send the email may be liable for the fines.
University policies state that all communications to alumni must adhere to the following policy:
Clemson University Information Policy
Clemson University maintains information containing biographical, academic, demographic and gift information on alumni, donors and friends. This information exists exclusively to support the work of Clemson University and to assist the University community in transacting business related to Clemson University programs. Much of this information is protected under various state and federal laws and may not be used in violation of those laws or without an individual’s consent. The Clemson Alumni Association seeks to provide assistance for programs, communications, and events, which bring together Clemson alumni, donors, and friends. In order to provide the best possible service to those with legitimate needs for such information, and at the same time maintain the confidentiality of the information entrusted to us by our alumni, donors, and friends we ask that you submit your request for contact information, including mailing lists or demographic information, via this online form. Email addresses will not be released, but you may submit a request for an email distribution via this form as well. Thank you in advance for your partnership. If at any time you have questions about this policy, please contact Clemson Alumni Association, 864-656-2345 or email@example.com.
To request an email, please follow this process:
- In order to process your request, please begin by setting up a login and password with us at https://cualumni.clemson.edu/SSLPage.aspx?pid=779&srcid=779. You will only have to do this once and then you can log straight into the system each time you have an email. Emails can be sent within 24-48 hours as long as there is no university email scheduled during that time which would cause overlap in audiences and cause an influx of Clemson email into personal email inboxes.
- Once you have set up your account, log in and go to https://alumni.clemson.edu/new-information-request-forms/ (you can also find this on www.clemson.edu/alumni and hovering over “resources” in the upper right corner and a drop down will appear where you will select “Email Distribution Request” from the first column – about 6 down)
- On this page, you will select “Clemson Club.” You will then have to accept our email distribution policy. Once accepted, you will be taken into a form where you will provide us with all of the information we will need to process your request. If you are creating a text email, you will include the text and preferred subject line. If you are creating an HTML version, you will indicate that in the fields and then send your HTML code to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your code must be prepared for email use and not web page use.
- Your email content must be reviewed and approved before being sent, so please be sure to send it in plenty of time prior to your preferred send date either via the form or to email@example.com.
- You will receive a confirmation email and should expect that your request will be completed within 2 days of the request. The only reasons there will be any further delay will be a high volume of email requests on your preferred send day, holiday closing or inclement weather closings. In many cases, you can expect that your email will be sent within 24 hours of receipt but please do not count on this being the case and ensure that you provide us plenty of time to process and account for any of the potential issues previously mentioned.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Dana Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 864-656-5669.
Thank you for your assistance and we look forward to working with you. Go Tigers!