Russell Carlton Ashmore Jr.
Ashmore, who was president of Clemson’s Class of 1950, has continued to be an active member of the Clemson family. Over the years, Ashmore has donated to the Clemson Fund and is a Heisman-level donor to IPTAY.
In 1992, Ashmore worked to help save the Clemson ROTC program, organizing the Clemson Corps to raise funds to preserve both the program and Clemson’s military heritage. Ashmore, a military veteran, served as the Class of 1950 fundraising chairman for Military Heritage Plaza on Bowman Field and was a leader in the development of the Scroll of Honor Memorial.
Ashmore is active in his community. For two terms, he served as chairman of the board for the Greer Chamber of Commerce. He is an active board member for Partnership Tomorrow, a group invested in Greer’s economic well-being. In 2012, he was recognized by Gov. Nikki Haley with the Order of the Silver Crescent, which is given in recognition of those who make a significant contribution to a city or community.
In Fortaleza, Brazil, Ashmore helped establish the Davis Lars Children’s Home in 2000. In 2005, he also co-founded the Taylors Free Medical Clinic.
Ashmore was a member of the board of trustees of North Greenville University, serving four terms as chairman. The school awarded him an honorary doctorate in humanities in 1997.
Ashmore is an active member of Taylors First Baptist Church, where he has been a Sunday school teacher 25 years. He also has served on the board of deacons and other committees.
Ashmore is co-owner of Ashmore Brothers Inc., an Upstate leader in grading and paving since 1959. He previously worked as a plant manager for General Shale in Knoxville, Tenn.
Ashmore and his wife, Elma Ruth Stansell, have four children.