HONORARY ALUMNUS SELECTION PROCESS
Clemson Alumni Association
- The Alumni Association Board of Directors has the sole authority to honor an individual by naming him/her an Honorary Alumnus of Clemson University.
- Individuals may be nominated for Honorary Alumnus distinction at anytime during the year but the selection process will occur annually in the spring. The nomination form is live and the formal call for nominations occurs in the Fall each year.
- Any alumnus of Clemson University may nominate someone for Honorary Alumnus. In the fall of each year, all Alumni Association volunteer leaders will be notified of the Honorary Alumnus selection process by the Executive Director and given the opportunity to nominate someone for consideration.
- A candidate for Honorary Alumnus must not have received a degree from Clemson University. Candidates for Honorary Alumnus will be judged on the following criteria:
- Outstanding service to Clemson and/or the Alumni Association
- Lifelong devotion to Clemson University
- Demonstrated loyalty to Clemson and the Alumni Association
- Individuals may be nominated for Honorary Alumnus recognition by submitting the official nomination form and letters of support to the Honors and Awards Committee, articulating why the candidate exemplifies one or all of selection criteria.
- Once the Honors and Awards Committee approves an individual to receive the Honorary Alumnus distinction, their nomination will be presented to the entire Board of Directors for final approval.
- Following selection by the Board, the Executive Director will confer with the President of the Alumni Association and the Chair of the Honors and Awards Committee to determine the most appropriate setting to present the honor.
- The Executive Director is responsible for keeping minutes of the Honorary Alumnus selection process and recording information regarding why an individual was selected. The Executive Director is also responsible for ensuring that an Honorary Alumnus is so noted in the alumni database.